Hawaii is no doubt one of the top destinations if you want to have an amazing vacation surrounded by lush surroundings and the feeling of being one with the environment.
But, what if you can live here year round?
It certainly is NOT the cheapest place to buy a home but owning your dream house in this slice of paradise can be the best decision you’ve ever made.
So, how can you find the house of your dreams in Hawaii?
- Organize the paperwork – Buying a house in Hawaii is similar to buying a house anywhere in the country. You need to get the necessary paperwork in order and this includes organizing your tax returns, paying stubs, and others.
- Establish your budget – As with any home purchase, deciding on the budget range is necessary before you even start looking at properties. This ensures that you won’t be spending more than what to can afford. Establishing your budget also helps you decide how you are going to finance the home purchase.
- Talk to lenders – Unless you will be shouldering the purchase of the house, you’ll need to contact one of the local Hawaii-based companies who are experienced in the underwriting and valuation of properties, which is important because it’s uncommon to find large areas with several homes having the same specifications and, therefore, prices.
- Get your own representation – If you currently live in the continental U.S., it may be difficult to go back and forth as you look at different properties, consider all the minute details, and finalize the sale. Having a local real estate agent represent you is in your best interest instead of relying on the listing agent who represents the seller. It’s a good idea to interview several candidates before making your choice and make sure that you consider the agent’s expertise, communication, and level of trustworthiness he or she engenders.
- Choose an area – Hawaii is an archipelago comprised of eight major islands, of which only seven are inhabited. Thus, once you decide you want to buy a property in the state, you also need to decide where. A way to weigh your options is to look at the area’s potential for growth because this is a good sign of a booming economy. You also need to consider your lifestyle. Whether you like hiking or spending time at the beach makes a big difference because it will dictate which locations you need to study.
- Establish the price – Once you’ve found your dream home, you want to establish your offer price. Why is this important? Because you want to make sure your offer has a competitive edge over others. If the home or area is high demand, the right offer can mean the difference between getting your dream home and going back to the drawing board.
Purchasing a new house is a great opportunity to live the life you’ve always wanted.
While the pre-purchase phase involves a lot of work, taking time to do this right will save you major headaches in the future.